Scholarship for Young International Law Researchers
The ICLRC recognizes the importance of supporting young professionals who have chosen the academic path, and intends to provide scholarships to young researchers each year to encourage them to conduct study in international law.
The scholarship may be awarded to applicants who wish to devote sufficient time working on academic research in one of the thematic areas determined annually by the Center and attending the Library on a compulsory basis.
Scholarship term: from 3 to 6 months with the possibility of extension up to 3 months.
Maximum number of scholars: 3.
How to apply: application should be submitted to email@example.com . Application must include:
- CV with contact details;
- motivation letter with indication of the desired period of the scholarship and its justification;
- exposé of the future research paper in the field of international law to be prepared by the applicant for which a fellowship is requested;
- letters of recommendation from two specialists of international law who have an experience of interacting with the applicant;
- request to appoint a mentor (if necessary);
- justification of the financial need to increase the scholarship (considering the applicant’s financial situation).
Thematic Areas of Research
Future research should address one or a few of the following areas:
- Climate Change and International Law (e.g., Sea Level Rise and International Law; Climate Change and Human Rights, Migration; Climate Change and Issues of Responsibility in International Law
- Subsidiary Means for the Determination of Rules of International Law / Subsidiary Sources of International Law
- International Treaties, Other Legally Binding and Non-Binding Agreements
- Artificial Intelligence and International Law
- The Eurasian Economic Union and International Law
- Investor-State Dispute Settlement Reform
Scholarship may be granted to a researcher under 35 years old, holding a master’s or specialist’s degree. The scholarship may also be awarded to a master’s student who has demonstrated a deep interest in the study of international law issues and sufficient competencies to produce quality work.
The scholar cannot participate in the International Law in the 21st Century Award for two years after the completion of the scholarship program.
Additional information on the requirements and procedures is contained in the Regulations on the Scholarship Program (in Russian) .
Frequently asked questions
1. What is the deadline for application and when will the results be announced?
Deadline for application is August 15, 2023 (23:59 (GMT+3)). Successful applicants selected on the basis of documents will be invited for an interview. The results will be announced on September 15, 2023 (23:59 (GMT+3)).
2. What is the amount of the scholarship and how long is it paid?
The scholarship is granted for a period of three to six calendar months in the amount of 60 000 rubles per month.
3. Is it mandatory to visit the library?
Yes, it is mandatory. However, if necessary, the applicant can coordinate a schedule to visit the library (for example, the scholar can agree upon that the first half of the program he/she works on the research in the library, and the second half remotely).
4. What other documents besides the basic ones are required?
Except for CV, motivation letter and exposé, the applicant shall provide two letters of recommendations from different specialists who previously had an experience of working or cooperating with the applicant. There are no formal requirements for the letters, but they should reflect the experience of interacting with the applicant and a brief profile of the applicant.
5. What are the scholar’s next steps upon the completion of the program?
The program provides for two forms of reporting. Firstly, the scholar agrees upon the outcomes to be achieved. With the given time constraints, the final text of the study will not be a compulsory outcome. This could be preparing a first draft of a study, submitting a piece of research for publication, presenting at a conference. Secondly, in any case, the scholar will have to present the results of the research in the ICLRC.
Application for participation
All data (except for the competition paper) must be submitted in Russian